The Hardest Part of Selling your Home
Getting an offer in 2022? Not too hard. Dodging the common obstacles that could derail that offer? Somewhat more challenging. Sellers these days need to watch out for potential detours like:
- Buyer financing falling through…on closing day.
- Appraisal discrepancies.
- Stalled home inspection negotiations.
- Title issues.
- Unmet contingencies.
- Last-minute buyer remorse.
Hurdle these hiccups with room to spare by disclosing problems with your home upfront and carefully assessing a buyer’s ability to afford your home financially. Your best bet is put a qualified agent on your team who can guide you through each step and potential stumbles before they become fatal face-plants. In the meantime, take these tips to heart:
- Don’t let emotions cloud your decision-making when the offer(s) comes hits the table. Instead, take your time to evaluate the pros and cons of every offer.
- If the buyer is paying cash, insist on validation of sufficient funds. If your buyer is financing, request a pre-approval letter. Even better, secure the buyer’s permission to let your agent speak with the lender about the approval.
- Once you accept an offer, work with your agent to create a timeline detailing the important transaction dates. Share it with your buyers to ensure they agree. Have your agent regularly touch base to keep things on track and prevent closing-day surprises.